Saturday 8 August 2015

Found My Running Mojo!

Hi there Friends!!!
First, I would like to apologize for the very long break from blogging! It has been far too long, and I have missed it (and you) very much! I thought about it often, but just didn't get around to it...
That being said! I would like to announce that I feel as I have gotten my running Mojo back!!! After my injury and many physio treatments for the same, I would like to say that I finally feel good about running again! It did take a lot to get going again. Anyone that has experienced an injury might be able to relate to the pain and the depression that I went through over the past 8 months. I think we just need to be stronger (mentally and physically) to overcome it all.
I started by signing up to pace the Woody's Half Marathon. I figured that this would get me running after I finally started physio and healing. It was definitely a good start...
Next, I signed up to take my cycling designation and my group exercise courses to get my AFLCA certification. These were very busy weekends, with about 5-7 hours of workouts each day, but wow! Was it ever fun! And absolutely worth it! I feel like I learned so much. I am very excited to start teaching fitness myself :-)

Once I finished my exams and all of my courses, it made it easy to concentrate on running.

The biggest thing that helped me to get back to running and feel great about it was visiting the Rocky Mountains in Sparwood and the Crowsnest Pass the first week of July! It sure is easy to be motivated when you wake up each morning and know that you have childcare (Gramma) and mountains calling your name :-D




We arrived Sunday night and first thing Monday morning before the kids swim lessons began I arose to sun and mountains! I managed to get in 18K that day. Each day after that was any where from 6K-12K. Every moment was absolute joy and we managed to get some hiking in with the kids too!
I had not planned on running at Sinister 7 this year, just volunteering and helping cheer and crew for my brother in law Erik. I did however bring extra trail shoes just in case a team needed someone to help them out ;)
And sure enough! I found a team to run leg 2 with. This would have been an easy and fun run for me! It is my favourite leg of Sinister, and I could have ran a few extra miles to meet my training needs. The team Chicks on the Fly were able to help me out with that too, as they asked me 12 hours before the race if I could also run another Leg. I happily agreed, so long as the legs were close together. So it was decided, with less than 12 hours before the race, that I would run legs 1 and 2. Not only did have a blast running it, but it helped build my confidence again. I had not run 32.5km in quite some time, and this felt amazing! I have it! I found my running mojo!


Once I returned home on my runners high, it made it easy to keep up the training! I was able to get out on the cross country ski trails in Red Deer, as well 40 kilometres in Banff.




I feel better than I have in months and with just 3 more weeks until Deathrace I felt strong and capable. Gosh I am happy in the mountains! I miss them so much. I am so grateful that I grew up in them and now get to visit and explore frequently :)
I would like to thank my Mom and Dad for helping with the boys! I would like to thank the girls from Edmonton for allowing me to join their team! And I would like to say it is thanks to them, the mountains and a few races that helped me to find my running MOJO again! Hooray!!!
I would also like to take this opportunity to Congratulate my brother in law Erik Byman on his strong finish at Sinister!!! What an amazing accomplishment to run 100 miles! I know what I feel like to be awake for 29 hours! And he ran for almost that long, plus was awake before and after the race! Well done Erik!
Stay tuned for my Deathrace report...

No comments:

Post a Comment