Friday 22 November 2013

Well, we are back from our Vegas adventure!
The weather was perfect (Sunny and 20 C) and we had a wonderful time away.
Chris and I successfully ran the Rock n Roll half marathon. Although Chris did not train at all, he was able to get caught up in the excitement of the race package pickup and decided to run anyways. I cannot say that I am proud of him (because he really did not train AT ALL!) But I am happy that he did and that he has the medal to prove it :)
I however am slightly disappointed with my time. I felt really good and decided that I would try and go for a personal best. I did not have my gps with me, so I thought it would be reasonable to pair up with one (or two) of the 1:45 pacers.
I felt super strong the first half, and my split times show that. I ran less than a 5:00min/km for the first half, and that is about the time I saw my first 1:45 pacer. Not only did I find one, I found 2. I thought this was perfect so I just followed with them for the remaining 5 miles.
I now know that if you have a goal in mind, you should probably try and bring your own Garmin, or at least go with what feels good.
I stayed with my pacers up until the last mile, but decided to blow past them as I felt so strong. Turns out the reason I felt so strong was because they were not running the 5:00min/km that they were advertising.  I finished the 13.1 miles in 153:03. A far cry from my goal of less than 1:45. But Hey! I guess I have learned something (and enjoyed myself doing it).
The run itself was amazing! They close down the entire Las Vegas Strip for 7 hours! Our photos are fabulous that were taken by MarathonFoto, and they all include a beautiful backdrop of some point along Las Vegas Boulevard. I can honestly say that I have never been tempted to buy the expensive photo packages until now. The shots are amazing and super fun and they will definitely provide a reminder of just how much fun it was. And the cost also comes with a $20 credit to use at Shutterfly.
The opening band was The All-American Rejects and that just paved the way for a fantastic run. There were bands and/or DJ's every couple of miles along the way that were playing upbeat music for running.
Overall, Chris and I both had a lot of fun and I would recommend another Rock n Roll Marathon. In fact, I am already looking to sign up for another!
Cheers! And Rock On!

No comments:

Post a Comment